To encourage study, improve practice, disseminate information, and advance knowledge in Forensic Science and Forensic Medicine for public benefit. To further these objects by
- Holding educational meetings and seminars, and publishing material that furthers the aims of the Academy. Promoting better cooperation and understanding between lawyers and expert witnesses.
- Sharing expertise in order to resolve legal conflicts justly and expeditiously.
- Providing a forum for exchange of information in the field of forensic science.
- Using the skills and knowledge within the membership to promote the resolution of national and international issues in Medicine, Science, and the Law.
The Main Disciplines Covered by BAFS Members
What is Forensic Medicine?
What is Forensic Psychiatry?
What is Forensic Science?
The Academy is honoured to have as its Patron its Honorary Member and former Lord Chancellor, the Lord Mackay of Clashfern.
Lord Mackay has received a great many honours in recognition of his outstanding achievements. The Queen approved that the Right Honourable the Lord Mackay of Clashfern KT be appointed Lord High Commissioner to the 2005 General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, and he was reappointed by the Queen to the 2006 General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.
- 2017 Dr Meng Aw-Yong
- 2015 Mr Robert Brown
- 2013 Professor Robert J. Flanagan
- 2011 Professor Michael Kopelman
- 2009 Dr Roy Palmer
- 2007 The Right Honourable Lord Justice Beatson
- 2005 Professor Sir Barry Jackson
- 2003 Professor Sir Colin Berry
- 2001 The Right Honourable Lord Justice Hooper
- 1999 Professor A. W. Goode
- 1997 Professor J. Stewart Orr
- 1996 Professor Peter Vanezis OBE
- 1995 Her Honour Judge Ann Goddard QC
- 1994 Bernard Grant Simms MBE
- 1993 Sir Montague Levine
- 1992 His Honour Judge Timothy Lawrence
- 1991 Dr Patrick J Lincoln
- 1990 Professor George C Jenkins
- 1989 G.J. Connor
- 1988 Dr P. Toseland
- 1987 Dr David M. Paul
- 1986 Roger Henderson QC
- 1985 Margaret Pereira CBE
- 1984 Dr J.D. Havard
- 1983 The Right Honourable Lord Justice Waller
- 1982 Dr Ronald Coleman
- 1981 Dr W.A.R Thompson
- 1980 H.D. Walton QPM
- 1979 Professor Barbara E. Dodd
- 1978 Professor J. Malcolm Cameron
- 1977 His Honour Judge Cox
- 1976 A Fraser McIntosh OBE
- 1975 Professor A. Keith Mant
- 1974 Professor Cyril J. Polson
- 1973 The Honourable Sir Gerald Thesiger
- 1972 Dr. Walter Somerville
- 1971 Dr. A John Howard
- 1970 Sir Roger Ormrod
- 1969 Dr. I.G.W. Pickering VRD
- 1968 Professor E.G.C. Clarke
- 1967 Sir David Napley
- 1966 Professor T.C.N. Gibbens CBE
- 1965 Dr. H.J. Walls
- 1964 The Right Honourable Lord Justice Lawton
- 1963 Professor Francis E. Camps
- 1962 Dr. L. Harrison Mathews FRS
- 1961 Sir Thomas George Lund
- 1960 Professor Sir Leon Radzinowicz